Personal blog. American who moved to Switzerland in 2019 without a long-term plan. I write about train travel, solo travel, expat life in Switzerland, learning French, and working in international development and nonprofits.
Here are some helpful posts.
This is how I was able to get a visa and move to Switzerland as a non-EU/EFTA national, and this is what I’m up to now. Here are some things that surprised me about working in Switzerland as an American.
Here’s how I found an apartment in Geneva’s competitive market.
Because I live in a francophone region, I’ve been studying French since 2019. Here are all the different classes I’ve tried, online and in person.
5 random facts about me:
- I text back quickly. Usually.
- I was once invited to speak at the White House (in May 2016), but missed the opportunity because I was travelling in Japan that week. I ended up spraining my ankle on that trip and have some regrets.
- Until recently, I worked in the environmental protection sector for six years. I’m also passionate about labor issues and workers’ rights.
- My favorite comedian is Conan O’Brien. I saw him perform live in 2018, but it would be an absolute dream to actually meet him one day and have a conversation.
- I’m obsessed with shiba inus.
I’m also on Instagram: @traintotbd.