I started learning French from scratch in August 2019, when I moved to Switzerland. This is what my journey has looked like so far.
- August 2019 – March 2020 (7 months): In-person group classes in Geneva, 2x / week for a total of 4.5 hours. Reached level A1 after 6 months of study.
- June 2020 – July 2020 (2 months): Finished up the semester in person after the pandemic lockdown lifted. Reached level A2 after 1 year of study.
- May 2020 – September 2021 (16 months): Online 1:1 conversation practice with a tutor, 1x / week for 45 minutes. Online group classes via Lingoda for about 5 months during this time, 2-3x / week for 2-3 hours. Also did some informal, supplementary studying such as watching Swiss news and French-language television series. Reached level B1 after 2 years of study.
- September – December 2021 (4 months): Online group classes again, 2x / week for 3 hours.
- December 2021 – present (7 months and counting): In-person 1:1 classes with a private teacher in Geneva, 1x / week for 1 hour. Reached level B2 after 3 years of study.
I hope to reach high B2 / low C1 by the end of 2023 and eventually become fully fluent in French.