- Late April: Saw a job opening advertised on LinkedIn for an international organization in Geneva, Switzerland and decided to send in an application.
- Late May: Participated in first interview (virtual).
- Mid-June: Participated in second interview (virtual).
- Late June: Participated in third interview (virtual).
- Late June: Completed a final writing assessment.
- June 25: Received and accepted offer over the phone.
- June 26: Gave notice at work. (In retrospect, this was a risky move without a written contract.)
- June 28: Received and signed written contract.
- July 2: Dropped off application materials for a D visa at the Swiss embassy in Washington.
- July 11: Picked up the visa from the Swiss embassy.
- July 16: Flew to Geneva with 3 bags. Saw two apartments. Was offered one of the apartments the same day and accepted.
- July 23: Moved into new apartment.
- July 30: Got a Swiss phone number and a data plan for Europe.
- Aug 2: First day at new job.
- Aug 5: First day at French class, starting at level A1.
- Aug 14: Set up a Swiss bank account.
- Aug 22: Received CDL (work permit).
- Aug 22: Submitted health insurance paperwork.
- Oct 24: Health insurance FINALLY set up.
- Reached level A2 in French.
- Reached level B1 in French.
- Moved into a new apartment.
- Signed up for assurance RC et ménage, or contents and personal liability insurance (should have done this ages ago, oops).
- Accepted a new job in Geneva.
- June 21: First day at new job in Geneva.